How to prepare a moderation?
- Who is the client for the moderation?
- Who are the other stakeholders for the topic?
- What exactly does the client expect from the moderation?
- What experience does the client already have with moderated events?
- What is the reason for the moderation?
- What is to be achieved in the time available? (end result)
- What is the maximum/minimum result?
- What is the purpose of the event? (sense/purpose)
- How does the client measure the quality of the final result? (success criteria)
- By what means?
- What was not supposed to happen?
- What’s the worst thing that could happen?
- What’s the best thing that can happen?
- Who are the participants?
- What do they bring with them to attend the event?
- What is their role/function?
- What are the interests of these participants?
- Are there “particularities” that have to be taken into account (e.g. physical limitations, special behaviour…)?
- Are there “skeletons in the closet” between the participants?
Preparation of framework
- Which room is available? (room size, floor, windows, walls, acoustics)
- How is the technical equipment? (lighting, windows, electricity)
- Which tools are available (flipchart, pinboard, whiteboard, beamer,…)?
- Are there enough break-out zones?
- Is there room to hang anything?
- Which floor covering is in the room?
- Working and break times
- Goal of the event (customer(s), sense and purpose, final result, criteria?)
- Where are the “freedoms” during the moderation, where are the clear limits on the part of the client?
Preparation of moderation process
Create frame design for the moderation process
- Welcoming address conception
- Communicate order
- Clarify target
- Suggest method and agree with group
- Execute Process. The process should be easily adaptable so that it can be adapted to the needs of the group without compromising the achievement of objectives. (The result that is to come out should not be given up, but the ways to get there are manifold.)
- Process review with the participants
- Review with the client
Preparation of relevant documents (charts, pin boards, maps, transparencies…)