What to consider
In blended learning trainings, the interaction between participant and coach takes place mainly online.
Communication tools are used that transport voice and video via the Internet. In addition, there is usually also an area available for sharing or working together on documents. Frequently one speaks also of the “Virtual Classroom”.
For online coaching to run smoothly, good preparation is crucial. Here are a few tips:
- Ensure that you are undisturbed during the online coaching session
This includes on the one hand the selection of a suitable room, which you can use alone and undisturbed and in which you feel comfortable. Inform your environment (colleagues, family members, etc.) that you do not want to be disturbed.
2. Make sure that the technology used works
- Internet access with sufficient bandwidth is available.
- Used tools are installed on the computer and work.
- Check the quality of your microphone and speakers.
- Use a headset if possible.
- The battery is fully charged or the power supply unit is connected.
- Make a test call in good time before starting online coaching.
- Arrange a “Plan B” with your coach if technical problems occur during the conversation (e.g. continuation via telephone).
- Close all applications on the PC that could interfere with the bandwidth of the connection or the process through incoming messages or synchronization in the background and cause distractions (such as e-mail, Messenger, Facebook, etc.).
- If available: activate the “Do not disturb” mode.
3. Plan your personal preparation at least 10 minutes before the beginning of the online coaching
- Provision of all necessary documents
- With which attitude do I enter the conversation?
- What are my expectations of online coaching?
- What else do I need for successful online coaching?