How do you prepare a negotiation?
- My negotiation goal is
- Price: Wish – Target range – Limit
- My idea of a fair negotiation outcome
- If there are several people in the negotiation arena: Are the goals of all members of the arena the same?
- If no, set priorities.
The Best Alternative to the Negotiating Agreement (BATNA)
- My best alternative is
- The best alternative of the negotiating parties is probably
Keep people and things apart and treat them separately: (1 Harvard Principle)
- How do I treat the person/what do I know about my negotiating partner?
- Are there issues at the emotional level that can prevent a good result?
- How much trust do I have in the other negotiating partner?
Interests do not focus on positions: (2nd Harvard principle)
- My interests are
- The interests of the negotiating parties are likely
- Which positions of my negotiating partner are known and which interests lie behind them?
Develop options acceptable to both parties (3rd Harvard Principle)
- What options could be developed
Apply Neutral Criteria (4th Harvard Principle)
- The following standards could be accepted by both sides
- How do I proceed, internal arrangements.